Joanne M
Joanne M, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons), LPC
12804206

I have been asked to give a statement by the police here in

I have been asked to give a statement by the police here in London over the phone where they told me that I have been accused of assault on one of my housemates but with no more details than that. I am going to the police station in the morning to find out what this is about, what’s your advice and can I ask for a copy of the statement which has been made against me before I give my statement?

The only thing I can think it relates to is my housemate put her toilet rubbish repeatedly outside my bedroom door blocking my passage, I kicked it out of the way and she repeatedly put it back over a number of days(when I was out of the house) one afternoon she was standing 5 meters away when I again found the rubish pilled outside my door I kicked it out of my way and she may now be claiming that I assaulted here with her toilet rubbish(plastic shampoo botles etc). I immediately left the house and she was creaming and roaring at me I kindly asked her to pick up her rubbish which she scattered outside my door. She sent me an email later that day entitled assault, saying that I kicked rubbish at her (which included a glass bottle apparently) which hit her in the leg and that if this happened again she would be forced to file a complaint with the police, I haven't seen here since this email and now I get a phone call from the police 10 days later.

Thanks in advance.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Yes.

The Police should read you it out anyway. However I would make sure you take a Solicitor with you.

The interview will be under caution and as such you are entitled to legal representation.

But in the interview yes you can ask that the statement is read to you or you can see a copy.

This is because if charged, the statement will be used as evidence in court anyway.

But make sure you have a Solicitor.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Expert:  Joanne M replied 1 year ago.

Hello. You don't have a right to a copy of the statement at the police station. That would be given to you at court. Your solicitor can ask to read the statement when they speak to the officer but they can refuse. Officers don't have to reveal this in disclosure. Statements are not exhibits. If you take a solicitor with you then they will be entitled to enough information about the case to advise you. If you go by yourself then they will just go straight into interview without giving you any details.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I suspect that she may have recorded the incident with her phone without my knowledge is she entitled to use this if she did indeed record?

I don't have time to get a lawyer now so I assume there will be free legal aid available at the police station, if not would you advice me to make a no comment statement until I get a lawyer?

I'm so surprised by all this. the police asked me for my date of birth over the phone what is that for?

Expert:  Joanne M replied 1 year ago.
She can use a recording in court.It mightn't help much. The police will offer you the duty solicitor. You can give a no comment interview but a court can draw inferences. Wanting a solicitor wouldn't avoid that.If you did kick rubbish that caught her though a no comment interview might be advised anyway. They need the dob to identify you.
Joanne M, Solicitor
Experience: LLB (Hons), LPC