Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

The owner of the Franchise that I am a part of has told another

The owner of the Franchise that I am a part of has told another franchisee that I have made "appalling and offensive comments" about her. This is completely untrue and also damaging to my position within the franchise. Can I sue for slander?
Submitted: 1 year ago via InBrief.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

What is your position within the franchise please?

Are you a franchisee?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I am a franchisee, but they are trying to claim I am in breach of agreement and terminate the agreement. I'm just collating my reponse to them and I want to know whether I have any grounds for slander after what they said to a fellow franchisee.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

People are free to say what they like to other people provided that what they say must not be defamatory. In order to be defamatory (ie. Libel or slander), it must:-
1. Be a false statement
2. Communicated publicly (ie. To another person other than the defamor and the defamed
3. Cause damage to the person who is defamed.

If you consider that the acts of the franchisor have met the above then you potentially have a claim for defamation. However, it is important that you are also satisfied that you are able to prove each of the elements above. No proof, no viable cliam.
However defamation actions are extremely expensive to actually proceed with via Court (tens of thousands of pounds in legal fees – no legal aid), with a unpredictable degree of success and it is only worth suing a person if they have money against which you could enforce judgement.
If the franchisor knows that the barriers to issuing a claim are high and doubts that you would be prepared to pay the legal fees then they may see it as a bluff though it does at least give you a little ammunition for your dispute with them

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor