Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi Thomas. I would like to ask you whether there is any merit

Hi Thomas. I would like to ask you whether there is any merit in looking into the following for UK Citizenship for my wife.

Her Maternal Grandfather (UK Citizen) born in Bloemfontein 1/3/1911, sailed back to UK 12 months later. School and University in the England.

Her Mother : Born in Rhodesia in 1941 while Father (my wife's Maternal Grandfather) was in crown service in Kenya.

My wife : Born in Southern Rhodesia in 1961.

Would love to hear from you.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

This is really tricky and I cannot say with 100%, if you want 100% certainty then you should instruct a British nationality lawyer.

I assume that your wife’s father is not British and that your wife’s mother’s mother was also not British.

I’m afraid that I cannot see that your wife is eligible for UK citizenship. In order for your wife to have a chance of registrering as a UK citizen she would have to show that her mother obtained “UK citizenship otherwise than by descent”

The crown service provisions in respect of children born outside the UK to parents in crown service operate under in certain conditions.

You will see from 7 on the following link that it is a requirement that the person should have been become a British citizen on 1st January 1983:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/britishcitizenship/informationleaflets/bnchapters/bn6.pdf?view=Binary

Your wife was not regarded as a UK citizen on that date (I think) because she was not a UK citizen (eg. By descent, because her father was not born in the UK). Because of this it makes the crown services element not applicable.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom