Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My son age 23 has started up his own busines and is self employed.

My son age 23 has started up his own busines and is self employed. He commenced business in June 2012. Should he have completed a Tax Return due end of Jan. 2013 ?

Ian Wylie

Thanks for your patience.

The online deadline for self assessment tax returns ending 31 January 2013 is in respect of the tax year ended 5 April 2012 (ie. 2011/2012).

Therefore, if your son only started trading in June 2012 then he is not active at all during the tax year 2011/2012 so he would not have had to have submitted a tax return for 2011/2012 for this reason

Confrimation here:-

He is active in tax year 2012-2013 obviously and so he will have to submit a tax return for this year in due course. The paper tax return deadline for this is 31 October 2013. The online tax return deadline is 31 January 2014, so there’s no need to panic.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,