How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7435
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi..I would like to ask you some questions about how can I

This answer was rated:

Hi..I would like to ask you some questions about how can I get divorce..hope you can help me out..I'm a Chinese citizen and my husband is british citizen..we got married in china also register in china..because of different backgrounds and personalities we always argue..we have been together almost 5 years now..we tried our best to get on with each other...but it doesn't work..we both don't wanna waste time in life..we love each other but not suitable for marriage..therefore we have made a decision which is getting divorce..our suitiation is very simple..we don't have kids.he has got a property under his name and we have a joined account together..We had an agreement..he will keep his property and have 30% money from our savings..I will have the rest 70% savings..then I will move out when I find a questions are how can we get dirvoce with out paying big fee to we already had an agreement about finance part?? Do I have right stay in England as I have got ILR?? Do we have to go through court for divorce??

How long ago did you obtain ILR please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have recived my Indefinite leave to remain in the uk visa since 08/06/ it important??? I thought I can stay in the UK forever.

Thanks for your patience.

Indefinite leave to remain is permanent provided that you remain in the UK, I had to check because if you divorce immediately after getting ILR then it’s possible that they could revoke ILR. You will be fine because you got it a long time ago though.

If you do not wish to instruct solicitors then you can issue divorce proceedings yourself. However you will have to get your marriage certificate translated by an translation company.

You may consider having a consultation with a solicitor simply to disclose the extent of the matrimonial assets and having them check that you are receiving a fair settlement.

All the information you need to issue the divorce petition and get your divorce started is here:-
The judge will want to get you in later in the process to check that you both understand the financial settlement if you are not instructing solicitors, but there’s nothing to worry about in this respect because they understand that not everyone wishes to instruct solicitors.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions