How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a british citizen born here in the UK. In 2007 i married

This answer was rated:

I am a british citizen born here in the UK. In 2007 i married my wife in India. She did not settle well in UK, and went back after 6 months. I cancelled her spouse visa, and she was refused entry on return flight here. In 2010 we are officially divorced in the UK, but not in India. What do i need to do to get her back. Can i re-apply for a spouse visa for her?

Any help much appreciated!

Have you remarried her, or do you intend to do so?

Do you meet the new salary or financial requirements??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do i need to remarry her as we got married in India, i posted a message to a few months ago and was told our marriage is still legal in India, so i don't think i need to remarry her.


Can you tell the new salary & financial requirements are?


Thanks for your reply.

If you have obtained a divorce in the UK then you would be considered divorced under the law in this country. For the purpose of the immigration rules I believe this would supercede any indication to the contrary in India.

Therefore, it would be necessary for you to either apply for a fiance visa to marry again here or to marry outside of the UK to apply for a spouse visa.

The finanical requirements came in to force in July 2012 and so you will also have to meet these. This means that in order to qualify for a spouse visa you have to earn an annual salary of £18, 600.00.

However, there are other ways of meeting the requirement if you have other income or savings.

Details on how you can meet the salary requirement are contained here, on the UKBA webpage on the following:-

Sorry I could not have better news for you, but if you do meet the financial criteria then the application should be fairly straight forward.

You should both submit sworn statements regarding the reasons for the initial divorce and then give details to advise on and corroborate your reconciliation.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do meet the financial requirements. These are the steps based on my understanding of what you have written:


Remarry the girl in India. If i am already married to her in India then this is not needed, and we can use the original indian marriage certificate.


Step 2 we apply for a spouse visa, and provide sworn statements to reconcile the marriage.


Step 3 submit the application for spouse visa in India as before.


This is a lot to do, can i and her just not write statements to the Indian Embassy or some place?


You have to apply for the spouse visa again, I'm afraid.

I would take advice from an Indian lawyer as to whether or not you are regarded as still being married though.

Thanks for rating my answer.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor