How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello i hope you can husbabnd is in prison been

This answer was rated:

hello i hope you can husbabnd is in prison been there since march...he has quite alot of property which the banks etc are now after as he hasnt been able to sort things out from prison..we both are on the mortgage on our main property where myself and 2 children live. they are now trying to put a charge on this property for his debts...he also has a confiscation order of 64k which he has to find. is there a way to which i can try and stop the charge being put on our main home or if not to stop any future charges being put on it. every other property he has is in his name...i have no debts and would really like to keep my house. please help me to understand what action i could take to stop this..thankyou Elizabeth
Hi Elizabeth,

Do you know if you own your property as "joint tenants" or "tenants in common"?

Did you execute a Declaration of Trust declaring that you have defined percentage interests in the property?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have a joint mortgage on the property..both our names are XXXXX XXXXX for the declaration of trust of interest in the property i presume being joint on the mortgage would make half the property mine..there is no equity in the property as if we sold it would only fetch the amount left on the mortgage. thanks


Thanks for your patience.

There are two ways of holding property. 1) Joint Tenants and 2) Tenants in Common.

If you hold as Joint Tenants then your shares are taken as being indistinct from eachother, whereas with Tenants in Common each share is separate/distinct and passes according to any Will or Intestacy. With Tenants in Common you can also hold unequal shares).

I would say that you should change to tenants in common if you do not hold it as such now. You can do this by using Form SEV from the Land Registry (you will have to send it to them and if you have any questions about completing the form you should call their customer service number - they are very helpful):-

You will then hold you interests as tenants in common. This means that your interests in the property would now be separate.

You can check how you hold your shares by downloading a copy of the register for the property from the Land Registry by paying a £4.00 fee:-

Look at the propreitorship register of the title you have downloaded from the Land Registry (where the proprietors of the property are listed). If the following entry is immediately below the named registered proprietors then the interests are held as tenants in common:-

" No disposition by a sole propreitor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the Court"

If there is no such entry then the proprty is held as joint tenants.

If the debts which the creditors are claiming are only your husband’s debt and you were not party to the debts then they can only claim against his interest in the property. Your interest is protected, which means that if there subsequently is some equity in the proprety then your share of it would be protected.

A creditor might apply for a charging order and then, after that, an order for sale of the property. However, you would receive notice of this and the best advice I can give is to instruct a solicitor when you do. If there is no equity in the property and the property is the family home then you have a good chance of defending the application for it to be sold because no value would be realised from it.

You need documentary evidence that there is no equity in the property. So, mortgage statements and an approximate valuation of the property. If he has other properties in his sole name then you may consider informing the creditors of these if they do not know, if there is any equity in these then they are more likely to go after them than your home.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks....all his other propertys have no equity apart from 1 which the cps want for the confiscation order. the charge has not been put on this property yet its in court on the 5th of there anyway i could stop this...i have been informed of this as i am on the mortgage but the debt is my husbands...could i write to the court and defend this ? also can i stop anyone else trying to put charges on this house? thanks



Hi Elizabeth,

You need to instruct a solicitor to defend this for you really. You will also need to attend Court.

If you are on the title to the property then you can stop the charging order having an effect on your share of the property, but probably not on your husband's share.

Your share is ringfenced/protected, but if the debt is iegitimate then the creditor will probably be successful on placing a charging order against your husband's share (not yours).

The position is the same with all other creditors provided you are not party to the debts (eg. joint loans).

If there is no equity then they are not likely to be sucecssful in apply for possession/sale.

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards.

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor