How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My name isXXXXX live in a private accomodation via

This answer was rated:

Hi, My name isXXXXX live in a private accomodation via one of the rental agencies. I have been served a section 21 that the landlord requires the accomodation back.
1. unfortunately my dad passed away in Africa and I have to be away to deal with the funeral etc during that time.
2. This has meant that I cannot raise the deposit for another accomodation.
3. I believe the property is been advertised for rent.
4. I appealed to them to extend the contract or give me some more time to deal with the personal issues and to raise money for the next deposit.
The agency has simply ignored me, saying the property is required. This has given me sleapless night and I am at a loss as to what to do. The last thing I want is to go to court to drag out on this issue etc
What are my rights in this situation?. Please help
Hi Peter,

When does the fixed term of the tenancy expire please, or has it already expired?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took up the tenancy on 10/03/12, and it expires on 9/02/13. The agency gave me the letter on the 5/12/13, so I suppose they are within the 2 months period.

I had to sell my shares to raise the deposit then.

My father has passed away and I am required to be in Ghana (africa) end of january to prepare and perform the funeral rites.


I will not be able to raise another deposit within this short time.

I have not physically seen the property being advertised but another agency dropped a leaflet indicating the property being advertised






Hi Peter,
Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that if you have received a validly served s21 notice which gives you two clear months notice with such notice to expire at the end of the tenancy then the notice will be sufficient for them to issue an application for an order for possession.

Once the notice has expired they will have to apply to Court. The court must then process the application then serve it on you. It should take between three days to a week for them to serve it on you and then you have a further 14 days to either submit a defence of accept the application.

Once you have done this then it is for the judge to either make the order for possession or to schedule a hearing. A hearing could be scheduled for anything between two/three weeks or 6 weeks.

When the judge makes the order for possession, whether as a result of a hearing or not, they will likely say that possession is granted about 28 days from the date of the order. If you have not left by the time stated in the order has expired then they can instruct bailiffs to physically remove you.

You are not likely to be able to defend the possession claim if you have been given the correct notice, but you see from the above that you will have a bit of time to sort out your finances.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Thomas.


The situation will be difficult for me. I will be out of the country at that time, so I will not be available to be served, and then put up a defence etc etc. I am likely to be back by 15/03/13. So it's kindof difficult.

What I propose is to perhaps write a letter tp appeal to them to give me about months to sort my personal affairs and then move out then, this my help me when we are appear in front of the judge

Any suggestions?

Hi Peter,

It may buy you some time, yes. If you were to pay the rent for the further period up front I woudl be a bit more confident about it.

Thanks for rating my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for your help Tom.

I will leave the direct debit to go through.


No problem. Good luck


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor