How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I invested money with a friend with the return date being 6

This answer was rated:

I invested money with a friend with the return date being 6 months. It was £20,000.


We had a contract stating that he would return the money in 6 months.


He did not return on the contractually agreed date and asked for an extension of 10 weeks and gave a post dated cheque. When the time came to pay he asked for another month.


This time he gave an email from his solicitor (his solicitor is not registered on the law society or bar council website) saying that he will have funds in his account on a certain date. The time to pay has come and gone and he is not returning my calls. So I want to know how I would go about recovering.


Also, he is a barrister but he is not registered on the bar council register- what action can I take against him?

Over the last 4 months, he has just had excuse after excuse and made numerous empty promises.

In the last 3 weeks he has stopped answering my calls and text messages.



Do you have a written loan agreement for this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


This is the contract


The following is agreed between the Investor (name redacted) and Enterpreneur (name redacted):


  1. That the (name redacted) investor shall invest the amount of £ 20,000 in Park Associates (Enterpreneur) for the six months.


  1. That The Entrepreneur shall give the fixed profit of £ 1,600 to the Investor after 6 months.


  1. That The Enterpreneur shall return the Capital amount of £20,000 after six months along with the agreed profit amount of £1,600.


  1. The investor shall not demand the withdrawl of the said amount any time during the agreed time period of 6 months.




Thanks for your patience.

Okay. If you’re satisfied that they have breached the agreement then you’re going to have to get serious and formalise proceedings.

This means that you have to issue a claim to recover the monies by suing them for breach of contract.

If you are satisfied that you have given them adequate time to remedy the breach and that you have satisfactory documentary evidence from them confirming that they have breached the contract then you can proceed straightaway.

The claim is in excess of the small claims track and so I would consider instructing a solicitor before you issue to confirm the merits of the claim. Costs will be claimable if it’s not on the small claims (which it won’t be) so you don’t want to get caught out if something has been missed and this is why you need specific advice to ensure that your claim is watertight.

If what you say is true and there are no omissions of fact then you will be fine though.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for your help. Last part of the question I'm still curious about

Also, he is a barrister but he is not registered on the bar council register- what action can I take against him?



If he is holding himself out as a barrister and he is not then you need to contact the Bar Council. It does not affect your claim against him but it is potentially a criminal offence.

Ditto the solicitor, but you woudl have to contact the Solicitors Regulatory Authority.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you