Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, My ex-girlfriend and her 2 children moved into my home

Hi, My ex-girlfriend and her 2 children moved into my home 18 months ago, she recently sold her house and has sole access to the funds generated by this sale. She has contributed heavily towards the bills since moving in and i have taken the role of house husband. We have separated by mutual agreement, however she is saying that she will not move the children out of the home. She knows I am unable to afford the bills or mortgage at the moment. I am staying at my parents in order to not put the children in an even worse environment. My question is about my rights in relation to my home which i have had for 6 years. and also whether her finances come into consideration. Can she just simply take my house?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Are the children that are living in a house the children of your relationship with your ex girlfriend? Are you the father of them?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tom

No I'm not he father of them, I do have a son who stays with me at my house 3 night a week.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Is your ex girlfriend the mother of your son? If so does he lives with her at the property?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

No she isnt the mother of my son, he is from a previous relationship.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
okay but does he live at the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3 nights of the week he does, he has his own bedroom. H wont live there if I'm not there

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

If she is not the mother of the child and you are not the father of the other children that live at the property then it is likely that you will be able to edit them and then be free to sell the property. However, you will have to sort out where your son is to stay fist.

If she is not a registered proprietor of the property of the land registry title register and she does not have a written agreement covering her occupation of the property then she does not have many right.

She would only be able to claim an interest in the property if she has contributed to the mortgage repayment or pay rent in an amount more than she would have paid if living in private rented accommodation or if she has made capital repayments to the mortgage or contributed to the initial financing of the purchase of the property or carried out and paid for substantial improvement which increase the value of the property.

If this is not the case and she does not have a written agreement then the only right that she has is a right to receive reasonable written notice of her position. This means that you should write to her giving her notice that you intend to f it up. Notice. Depends on the length of time she had occupied the property but must in essence be reasonable. If you give her 2 months then this is likely to be regarded as reasonable. You can then instruct a bailiff to affect this is useful please kindly click accept and break my answer okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your questions. Kind regards tom.

Kind regards

Tom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tom

Thank you for your response, there are a couple of points that i cant make sense of ;

This means that you should write to her giving her notice that you intend to f it up. Notice.

Also what are my rights to access the property?

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

If you are the sole registered proprietor of the property on the land registry title register then you have on unfetteted access to the property unless you have agreed otherwise with her.

The sentence you refer to was a spelling mistake because I am on my phone. I meant to say that you will have to serve notice upon her to a bit her from the property. If you re read my answer with this in mind it should make sense.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor