John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor and Advocate

hi there l had a drug conviction 17 years ago . and ive been

hi there l had a drug conviction 17 years ago . and ive been given a job in canada and lm being sponcered to come over can you advise me thanks alex.

I will do my best to help you with this.

My advice is that you should apply to the Police for a print out from the Police National Computer and see whether your conviction is recorded. If it is not, then do not declare your conviction when you go through your visa application.

If you contact the police station who dealt with your case, they will be able to help you with making a PNC access request.

If your conviction does show up, it would be advisable to declare it. Assuming the offence was not serious (possession rather than supply), it should not stop you from obtaining a visa, particularly given the time which has elapsed.

Any further queries, please ask.

Best wishes