How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im helping a friend to find out information,she is from Latvia

This answer was rated:

I'm helping a friend to find out information,she is from Latvia lives in uk ,he's from Russia and don't live in uk , he's coming over on turist visa soon, so the question is can they get married in uk,even he's got turist visa, and what's next??

Has he actually applied for the visa yet?

Once they marry will he return to Russia?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not yet , and if he return to Russia can he get back to uk as a husband and stay with his wife

Thanks for your reply.

He needs to apply for a Marriage Visitor's visa if he is to come to the UK to marry and then return to his home country before making any application to return to live here permanently.

The UKBA page for a marriage visitor's visa is here:-

Once he has returned to his home country then he will have to apply for and obtain an EEA family permit in order to secure his leave to remain in the UK to work. He will need to apply for it before he can travel and must submit the appropriate documentation to the UK embassy closest to him:-

Once he has come to the UK on the family permit he will be eligible to apply to the UKBA for a residence card which confirms his right of residence in the UK on the basis of the marriage:-

It will either take the form of an endorsement in his passport or as a separate immigration status documents confirming his right to reside here for 5 years.

At the end of this time he will be able to apply for a Permanent Residence here if he wishes and has not spent significant time outside the UK.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What if he get married on turist visa what happens then

It would complicate the next visa that he has to apply for significantly. The UKBA may regard the fact that he applied for a tourist visa and not a marriage visitor's visa as a form of deception, which can be a ground to refuse visas.

It's not worth it, he shoudl apply for the correct visa.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I ask completely different question?
Please rate my answer. I have answered your question.

You may then ask a further question .


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you