How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7580
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I got married in Florida whilst on holiday from the

This answer was rated:


I got married in Florida whilst on holiday from the UK in 2004 and now wish to get divorced. Please can you advise how to go about this? Both me and my husband live permanently in the UK. There are no children or assets involved.

Kate Barber

How long have you been separated? If at all..

Has he been adulterous?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi - we have been separated for 2.5 years. As far as I know he hasn't been adulterous. He won't contest it, it is just 'irreconcilable differences'



Hi Kate

Thanks for your patience.

The least controversial way of petitioning for divorce would be based on a two year separation. To do this, he would have to agree to the divorce based upon this period of separation. I assume that he does.

A solicitor would likely charge in the region of(NNN) NNN-NNNNbp + vat to act on your behalf from start to finish.

The fact that you married in Florida is immaterial because the marriage is obviously recognised in the UK. There is no requirement that you divorce in the country where you married.

If you are both resident in the UK then you can divorce here. If you do not wish to retain the services of a solicitor then you can divorce yourself. It’s fairly easy for lay persons to do provided you are willing to put a bit of time in.

Info on how to do this yourself here:-

I assume that you are a UK citizen. If you are not and do not yet have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK I can advise on how divorce would affect your immigration status.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you