How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just been very involved in selling my 85 year old mothers

This answer was rated:

I have just been very involved in selling my 85 year old mothers house and the solicitor that she has used has ensisted on keeping the proceeds of the sale in his client account and has confirmed that it will pay no interest as it will cover the admin fee.
She has a bank account that will pay 2.8% interest on her money which will give her approx £120.00 per week . I feel that this solicitor is feeding his own needs . Can he legally do this as at 85 he has told my mother this is best for her . He has also sub contracted the conveyancing of this house to another solicitor who was given a written instruction signed by mother to pay the funds into mothers account . But she has acted on a subsequent verbal instruction from him which he claims mother gave him CAN HE DO THIS

What is the solicitor's justification for doing this please?

Why has he advised your mother to do this?

What does your mother wish to happen to the money?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has been her solicitor for some 30 years

He asked her a leading question as regard to keeping the money and

she agreed


She is vulnerable and agrees with the last person who spoke to her


How long has he proposed to hold the money for? What is the ulimate purpose he is seeking to achieve here?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dont know his motives we do not know what is going through his brain


Thanks for your patience.

The key here is what your mother wishes to happen to the money. If she instructs him to transfer to her personal account then he has to do so, no questions asked. Explain to her clearly why you consider this is a good idea and if she wishes for it to be transferred then she needs to contact her solicitor to instruct him to do so. He must then transfer. If he does not then you need to report him to the Solicitor’s Regulatory Authority.

A solicitor is bound by the SRA conduct rules to act in the best interests of the client. If he is advising that the money should be kept in his client account simply for beneficial financial reasons which are not true then this would be a breach of this conduct rule. If however he has said to her that she may consider that the money is “safer” in the client account because of their close relationship and that no money will be taken with his authority and therefore he is providing a first line of defence against fraudsters then this would not be a breach of the conduct rules.

Your mother needs to firm and instruct him to transfer to her account. If he does not then something extremely fish is going on and you would need to get in contact with the SRA

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions