How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it a point of law that if a property is paid for by a person

This answer was rated:

Is it a point of law that if a property is paid for by a person they have rights of ownership over the property even though the property may have been put in another person's name?

Thanks for your patience.

If a person is purchasing a property but the finance is being provided by a third party then the solicitor should contact the third party prior to exchange and completion.

They will inform the contributor that they are financing to the purchase but their instructions are that they are not going to be named on the registered title. They will inform the contributor that they may consider taking legal advice in respect of how they are to protect the contribution if it is not a pure gift (in which case they shall retain no interest).

If the money is in fact intended as a gift then they will ask the contributor to confirm this to them in writing and also to verify their identity)

The solicitor will respond accordingly.
1) If they confirm that it is a gift then they will get appropriate evidence of this in writing from them and also take proof of their identity. They will inform the purchaser and no charge (ie. A restriction) will be entered on the title
2) If the contributor confirms the money is not a gift and that they require security for the contribution then the solicitor should inform the purchase and then arrange for a restriction to be entered on the legal title following completion. They will explain the effect of the restriction to the purchaser, at which point it is for the purchase to decide whether or not to proceed on this basis. A charge may be drawn possibly to stipulate the rights and responsibilities of each party under the transfer of money in the future.

If the contributor stated that they wanted a charge/restriction and the solicitor somehow arranged this without consulting the purchaser then the purchaser will have a claim against the solicitor for negligence. It will be difficult to get the charge removed.

If the contributor was not contacted or did not respond to the solicitor and the transaction completed then the contributor may have been able to use the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act to claim an interest and register a charge, however they would have to litigate which the purchaser would be able to defend if there was clear evidence from the contributor that it was intended as a gift.

You will appreciate we are only able to give general advice and guidance on general principles. If you require specific advice you must take direct and independent legal advice.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A charge has been made on a property registered in my name - can the charge be removed by appealling on the grounds that the property was paid for and owned by two other people?


Does the debt which relates to the charge that has been registered relate to you?

Did you execute a Declaration of Trust (or other agreement) with the two other people as a result of their contribution?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Yes the debt is mine.


One of the people who donated 50% of the cost has a restriction order for 50% of the property, the second person (my ex-partner) who paid 50% of the cost does not have anything in writing.


I think for the moment the charge is properly registered because there is at least a chance (from a Court's perspective) that you still own part of the equity in the property.

The order giving 50% to one of the people protect's that part of the property but if there is nothing else in writing the reasonable assumption is that you own the other 50%. Thus, there is an asset which they debt can be enforced against.

If it is the case that the other owner should also have received an order or a declaration of trust in respect of the other 50% then you both need to see a solicitor to get something to reflect this. Once you have this you may (if accepted by the Court) be able to get the charge removed but you would have to pay legal fees and possibly costs of the other side as well (perhaps)
I have been called in to a meeting unexpectedly now. It should last about an hour. If you have any further questions I will answer them upon my return.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor