Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a 50% share holder in a property and the other shareholder

I am a 50% share holder in a property and the other shareholder is threatening to take to court to force me to sell
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for stating your position.

What is your specific question about it please?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can i be taken to court and forced to sell as i owe no money on this property

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there a mortgage on the property?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no my husband passed away in january and the full mortgage was paid off including the share holders from my husbands estate so he has already had 100,000.00 pounds

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Ok.

Is your partner named on the registered title for the property at the Land Registry?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

myself and buisness partner are both on tile deed and property is held as tenants in common

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Are they also the father of the children?

Is he being unreasonable as to the price he is asking to be paid for his share, or is it based on market value?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he is not the father of my children he is purely a shareholder in the property the property has some buildings on it which are subject to an enforcement notice for removal. the cost of this removal should be deducted from the valuation of the property however he is refuseing to encure his half of the cost

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

In order for force the sale he would have to make an application to Court. If you cannot demonstrate sufficient finance to buy him out at market value (as decided by the Court) and transfer the equity in to your name then the court is highly likely to make an order for sale.

Unless there is a declaration of trust confirming that you should be responsible for putting the property in a saleable condition (ie. Removing the properties subject to the enforcement order) then costs would be borne equally.

You would therefore be arguing that the Court make’s an order for sale at the market value of the land without the buildings and further arguing that the order for sale be made subject to the removal of the buildings at eachother’s costs. You would get some traction with this.

I would start negotiating with him because he would get an order for sale at Court and you would to avoid giving him the position whereby he can have the possibility of claiming costs from you. I would start with negotiating the removal costs of the buildings since the enforcement notice must be complied with regardless of whether the property is being sold.

Delay a bit, but not so much as to prompt him to issuing an application. In this delay you need to devised an affordable strategy to buy him out if that is you ultimate objective.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor