Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

If I write a niece out of my will leaving her siblings to benefit

If I write a niece out of my will leaving her siblings to benefit can it be contested successfully ?

Thanks for your patience.

In the event of your mother passing away and not providing for someone then a person who is not provided for is only able to make a claim against the estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependent) Act 1976. You must make the application within 6 months of the date of the grant of probate.

In order to make a claim against the estate the person claiming must be able to prove that they were financially dependent to some extent on the deceased (or sometimes dependent upon you in a care sense of the word because of ill health). If your niece is not financially dependent upon you now then she will not be able to make a claim once you have passed away.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,