How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a guarantor of a lease for business and the business is

This answer was rated:

As a guarantor of a lease for business and the business is going through financial problems, owing 2 quarters and now served with statutory demand under section 268(1) what rights have i got so that I don't loose my home.

Is anyboday else named on the title to the property with you? Perhaps a partner/wife that lives there?

What sums are we talking about?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am the only one on the title. The amount is £23,263 and this is guaranteed by 3 of us


Have you had any discussions with the landlord about whether or not they will forfeit the lease?

Has the tenant attempted to find any one to assign (ie. sell) the lease to?

Are you on good terms with the tenant?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FAO Tom only


Re assignment of the lease is already been considered. We seems to be in good term with the landlord.

Drafting your answer. 5 mins.

Thanks for your patience.

You should focus on encouraging the tenant to assign the lease. This is where unexpired term of the lease is sold to another tenant, who then takes over the responsibilities of the lease.

The landlord will require that the rent arrears are discharged before assignment (probably) and so the tenant or the guarantors will have to pay for this if this is what is to happen. You can attempt to find tenants yourself or instruct an agent to do it for you.

If you assign the lease though the landlord will likely rely on the assignment clause in the lease to insist that you all execute an Authorise Guarantee Agreement, which means that if the new tenant does not pay the rent then the landlord can sue you. If this happens you can re-take possession of the property to assign it to a further new tenant.

If the new tenant pays the rent then himself assigns the lease you would be released from all liability under the lease.

If sums are owed as a result of the landlord forfeiting the lease then they must first secure judgement against you all by suing you. This will afford you some time.

Once they have obtained judgement they can apply for a charging order against your house. They would probably get judgement on the rent arrears from the date of last payment up to the point at which the property is relet to another tenant, plus legal fees, plus costs of locating a new tenant, plus interest. If they get this (which they probably would unless you can offer a repayment plan) then they can apply for an order for sale. This is harder to get if the property is your residential home and your family lives there. You would have to defend on this basis.

The best way forward is to be proactive and constructive with the landlord together with the tenant and the other guarantors. You need to either assign the lease or agree a repayment plan in respect of the balance of the amount claimed by the landlord.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor