Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

if my son asked a buy to let mortgage lender for a mortgage

if my son asked a buy to let mortgage lender for a mortgage to buy a house from his father and then told them he was going to rent the property back to his father would this be acceptabe

Thanks for your patience.

It’s for the lender to decide, but provided that your father is willing to execute an assured shorthold tenancy in order to give effect to this then I would expect that they would not raise an objection.

It’s unlikely that they would insert a resection in the mortgage offer that it is not rented to a family member. This should be fine.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,