Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

how should i respond to a threat from a neighbor (I WILL TAKE

how should i respond to a threat from a neighbor (I WILL TAKE YOU OUT) THIS HAS BEEN SAID SEVERAL TIMES

What did the police say when you reported this?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO, AND TO PHONE AGAIN IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN, AND THAT I WILL HAVE TO JUSTIFY ANY RESPONSE IN SELF DEFENSE.

outHi

Thanks for your patience.

Right. You should write to your neighbour outlining what has happened from your perspective and be specific about the particular type of behaviour you have concerns about. State that you have contacted the police and tell them what they said.

Then state that if there is further behaviour then you shall 1) report it again to the police and 2) issue an application in county court for a non-molestation order. This is a civil order which states that a person should not contact you or behave towards you in certain ways. If they then breach the order then it’s contempt of court, which is an offence. In serious cases, a power of arrest can be attached to a non-molestation order.

If the behaviour happens again you can 1) get s local solicitor to write a letter before action essentially stating what you have said in your original letter and making it clear that you will instruct them to apply or an order if it happens again, or 2) apply straight away for a non-molestation order at county court. You can instruct a solicitor to do this for you or contact you local court for the forms and make the statement yourself and then have it sworn for £7.00 at a local solicitor.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom