Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I have recently met a partner who is a Gran Canaria Canary

I have recently met a partner who is a Gran Canaria Canary Island resident and wish to know if he can move to the uk and live with me in the future. What are the rules please?

What nationality is he please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe he is Spanish if a Canarian but am checking.

Thanks for your patience.

If he is Spanish then he is an EEA national. That means that he can simply travel to the UK on his passport. Provided that he exercised his EEA treaty rights by working, studying or otherwise being self-sufficient then he could stay as long has he likes.
He would not need to apply for a visa before he travels and if he exercises his treaty rights for a period of 5 years then he can apply for Permanent Residence here, which is a right to remain in the UK permanently without exercising his treaty rights

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,