How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I wonder if you could advise me please. I split with

This answer was rated:

Hello, I wonder if you could advise me please. I split with my partner almost two years ago ( I have not lived there since beginning Dec 2010. Mortgage is in joint names. She suffers with Bi polar and due to her illness we got into debt (I am paying mine via a debt company) and arrears with the motgage, the property went through the proscess of being reposessed. However, she got well enough to find another job and kept on the hosuse and has been paying the mortgage since dec 2010. I contacted the Mortgage lender around that time and was told it would be 12 months before they would consider removing my name from the mortgage. She has now been paying it for almost two years so I again contacted the Mortgage lender and an appointment was made today at a local branch to make a change of loan details and remove my name. The upshot is, there is still approx £3500 arrears, which she pays extra on top of the mortgage each month to clear. I am told now after almost two years the arrears has to be cleared in full and then 12months of just my ex partner paying (which she has for almost two years -the property is in negative equity). Which could total another 4 years - 6 years with the 2 years that has already past!!!. My concern is her health. She will at some point become ill again as it is pattern with Bipolar. For the next 4 years I can be liable for half this mortgage if she is ill and cannot pay. She also has other debts and is looking to declare herself bankrupt. Can I force her to sell the house to get my name off this mortgage? is there anything I can do at all? I am beside myself at the thought of what could happen if /when she becomes ill. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Thanks for your patience.

The lender is entitled to refuse to consent to the removal of your name from the mortgage/legal title for the property whilst there are arrears. If the arrears are paid off they are still entitled to refuse to remove your name if your co-owner does not meet their requirements to have the mortgage offer in her sole name.

If she is likely to go bankrupt then obviously they would not consent to your name being removed.

This would mean that your only option is applying for an order for sale of the property. You can force the sale of the property by making (or posturing to make) an application to County Court. If she cannot demonstrate sufficient finance to receive a mortgage offer to buy you out and transfer the equity in to her name then this may be her only option. A local solicitor would be able to do this for you and these orders are seldom refused by the Court.

The fact that the property is in negative equity is a complicating factor though.

You should speak to her about arranging a sale if the mortgage arrears cannot be settled in the near future and/or she will not be able to get the consent from the bank.

Needless to say, you should make sure that the mortgage payments are met otherwise it will be reflected on your credit rating and may ultimately result in the lender making an application for possession themselves in the event of default.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor