How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7538
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to publish an autobiography that contains my stories

This answer was rated:

I am about to publish an autobiography that contains my stories from the past that contains stories including celebrities and other 3rd parties within. Is there a clause or text that i can use that indemnifies me the author from what is written to avoid legal action or potential claim for damages from anyone contained within?

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid it’s not as simple as inserting a clause, if it were everybody would be doing it.

The issue is whether by publishing you would be sued by any of the peoples you write about for defamation.

People are free to say what they like to other people provided that what they say must not be defamatory. In order to be defamatory (ie. Libel or slander), it must:-
1. Be a false statement
2. Communicated publicly (ie. To another person other than the defamor and the defamed
3. Cause damage to the person who is defamed.

Therefore, provided what you write is not false then, in theory, no person should be successful in suing you for defamation. However, it would be more pragmatic to say that provided you can prove everything you write is true then no person should be successful in suing you for defamation.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions