How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello there. I recently married a Turkish Lady in Turkey, we

This answer was rated:

Hello there. I recently married a Turkish Lady in Turkey, we currently live in Poland but will come back to the UK in a year or so, my wife needed a visa to enter the UK, does this still apply now we are married as its a pain having to go to the polish embassy every 6 months to get it.
Thanks XXXXX
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your question/n .

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. What nationality are you please?
2. DO you plan to travel back to the UK before you return to settle permanently here?
Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Tom

I am British,

I travel back to the UK every couple of weeks to see my children from a previous marriage, in fact i am back tomorrow.

to give some background we have been in a relationship for a number of years and decided to get married, its not a problem for her to get a visa as she has worked in the UK before and visited many times. We both work for Tesco PLC and currently seconded to Krakow in Poland




Thanks for your patience.

If it is the case that you expect to travel back to the UK with your wife a number of times before you actually travel to settle permanently here then she will need to apply for visitor’s visas to travel here.

The fact that she has married you does not afford her any more rights in terms of visiting here than any other Turkish citizen unfortunately.

However, I would suggest that instead of applying a number of times for separate visitor’s visas that she instead makes an application for a visitor’s visa now, but instead of ticking the 6 months visa option she instead ticks the 1 year option.

This 1 year option is a multi-entry visitor’s visa. It means that within the 1 year granted by the visa she can enter the UK a number of times provided that she does not stay in the UK for more than 6 months out of the 12 months in total.

Sorry it could not be better news, I’m sure that you consider it unfair and I would be inclined to agree.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance (perhaps on making an application for a Spouse Visa which she will need to make before you return to settle here permanently) then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX we could do that, i often read that people get married so that one partner or the other can gainentry to the UK and get a british passport, obviously this is not the case and she is very patriotic so would not want to change her passport but did think we could register the marriage and at least get a residents visa as that is what she has with Poland, and this can be renewed without going to the embassy.

Hi Steve,

I'm afraid that the type of visa granted to her by the Polish government is based upon EEA rights. You are an EEA citizen exercising your EEA treaty rights in poland and, as such, she is entitled to be there with you as the non-EEA spouse of an EEA national.

The same does not apply in the UK because your right to be in the UK derives from the fact that you are a UK citizen, not because you are an EEA national exercising your treaty rights. It's s quirk of the UK system that it's actually more difficult for the spouses of UK nationals to gain entry to the UK that it is for the spouses of EEA nationals simply working in the UK.

It's a multi-entry visitor's visa or a spouse visa for her I'm afraid.

Please rate my answer.

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor