How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does a USA citizen go about getting prior clearance to

This answer was rated:

How does a USA citizen go about getting 'prior clearance' to enter the UK for a short visit? Apparently, a VISA is not applicable but this person has been refused entry into Britain twice in one week for unfair reasons based on unsound grounds.

Thanks for your patience.

US citizens generally benefit from the Visa Waiver Program, which means that they do not need to apply for a visa before they travel and are instead granted leave to remain (6 months) upon port of entry to the UK.

However, the grant of such leave to remain is not mandatory, it’s discretionary. Therefore, the border officials may reject entry if they consider that a breach of the immigration rules would occur if they were admitted entry.

Therefore, where a US citizen anticipates that they might face problems they should apply for a visitor’s visa before they travel in the same way other nationals do.

You will see from the following link that US citizens should in fact apply online:-
See:” Should you apply online or complete an application form on paper?”

You will also see that it confirms you should apply using their system Visa4UK.

If you let me know whey you were refused entry I might be able to advice further.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Entry was refused first at Heathrow Airport then a week later at Gatwick.

Yes, but why?

What were the reasons given for the refusal?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The reason for deportation was a suspicion of intention to work. On 5 visits to the UK in the last 10 years, no laws have been violated and no visa periods have been overstayed. On 19th August advice was given to obtain 'Prior Clearance' if wishing to re-enter the UK in future. However, the Embassy in Geneva (Switzerland being coutry of residence) only offer an on-line visa application service as opposed to an appointment to discuss the problem with someone in person.


You have to apply using the online system, that is clear from the link given above.

Even if you submitted your application by post you would not automatically be granted an appointment to discuss the matter. You would have to submit further supporting documentation and then maybe be called for interview by the caseworker on your file.

You have to submit the application online but then submit your supporting documentation separately. Because of their suspicion that you will work in the UK you have to submit documentary evidence of the funds you have available to you to show that you are able to support accomdate yourself whilst in the UK. This would be things like your bank statements, other financial records of assets in your or income you earn, payslips etc.

If someone will assist you during the intended the stay you should ask them to go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which they state the terms of his visit, that you are to return at the end of itthat you shall accommodate you and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor