Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

How do I find the court paper work for my parents divorce .

How do I find the court paper work for my parents divorce . It was in 1974 feb in Colchester

Thanks for your patience.

In order to be legally divorce in the UK one must obtain a Decree Absolute. There is a central registry at the Principle Registry of the Family Division which keeps an index of all divorces in England and Wales since 1858:-

Use the contact details on the above page to contact the registry to confirm you can obtain this from Canada (you will be able to) and ask about their fee. There is no online search functionality so you will have to complete Form D440. They will be either able to refer you to the form or you can download it from here:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,