Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am 43 years old and born in Canada. My mother is British

I am 43 years old and born in Canada. My mother is British and has a landed immigrant status in Canada.
My mother still travels with her British passport. Is that enough information in order to proceed with my request

Thanking you

Sorry, what is your actual question?

Does it relate to your eligibility for UK citizenship?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oups....Sorry... It relate to my elibility for UK citizenship

Jean-Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more...If i am elgible to Birtish Citizenship....how easy and how long will it takes....

Jean-Paul

Hi Sean-Paul,

What nationality was your father?

Was your mother british by birth?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My father Was born in Canada and my mother was born in Didcat England on the 13/04/1947, she moved to Canada with her parents, both were british citizens , when she was 10 years old. Her parents became canadian citizen but my mother kept her British Citizenship, she has the landed immigrant status in Canada

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Before 1983 British Mothers were not permitted to pass on their British Citizenship to their children that were born outside the UK.

The British Nationality Act 1981 gave them this right, but for person born outside the UK to British mothers but non-UK fathers before 1983 they have to register first as UK citizens.

You will see from the following link that what I have said above is confirmed and as also provide you with information on how to apply:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/britishcitizenship/informationleaflets/bnchapters/bn13.pdf?view=Binary

The processing times vary wildly but I understand that it generally takes around 8 weeks to have this processed assuming that you provide the necessary supporting documentation and complete the application form correctly.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Greetings

The addrress you provided me doesn't work....

Thanking you

jean-paul

The address does work when I use it.

Try clicking on "INFORMATION ABOUT
REGISTRATION AS A BRITISH
CITIZEN BY CERTAIN PEOPLE BORN
BEFORE 1983 TO BRITISH MOTHERS " on the following link to get it:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/britishcitizenship/informationleaflets/

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Greetings

Sorry for the delay....busy working away from home

Try to resume my querry in one short mail...

Thanking you

Greetings from Canada My name isXXXXX I was born in Canada on 1969/07/06. I am an engineer with a naval architecture background. My mother is a British citizen, who was born in England on 1947/04/17. Both of her parents were British citizens who served their contry during the war. They moved to Canada in 1956. My grand-parents passed away a few years ago. My mother has a Canadian permanent resident card NO:XXXX-XXXX and travels with her British passport NO:XXXXXXXXX . Could you tell me at first "glance" if i would be eligible to acquire the British citizenship Thanking you XXXX-XXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

I think I have answered your question above?

Tom