Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

is there any penalty for a UK landlord (who lives in the premises)

is there any penalty for a UK landlord (who lives in the premises) if a foreign (non-EU) tenant who is in the UK with a tourist visa gets a job although he does not have a work visa?

Thanks for your question.

No. Landlords are not required by law to verify a person's immigration status. There are penalties in place for employers if they employ a worker without checking there status, but not for landlords.

It's not really advisable though, simply because they are more likely than not to abscond because of their status and lack of ties to the UK.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,