How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son Daniels fiancee, Sarah, inherited her parents house

This answer was rated:

My son Daniel's fiancee, Sarah, inherited her parent's house in equal share with her brother, Jonathan, when their parents died. The deeds of the house are still in the parents' names.

Sarah and Daniel are now wanting to buy Jonathan's half of the house and take out a joint mortgage and obviously have the deeds in both their names.

Is this just a simple task for a solicitor to transfer the deeds into their names instead of Sarah's parents. and then Sarah and Daniel take out a mortgage to pay Jonathan his half of the market value.

Surely they do not need to 'sell' the house and Sarah and Daniel 'buy' it, as Sarah already owns half of it. It should be a case of Jonathan's half coming into ownership of Daniel.

This should mean that there should be no requirement for searches etc normally associated with buying a house.

Any advice please?

Thanks for your question.

They will need the grant of probate for the deceased in order to do this. You cannot transfer property without it I'm afraid because you have to transfer the legal title from the deceased.

It will be relatively straighforward, however searches will be required because the solicitor doing this will have to act on behalf of the lender. IN order for the lender's charge to be perfected and secured against the property then need to have clear searches. They will not advance the mortgage without it.

It will be simplified in terms of the pre-contract enquiries and also because no other solicitor should be required though.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Tom, I fully understand about the need for the search now.

They are under the impression that they will need 2 different solicitors - one to act for Jonathan in 'selling' his half and the other to act for Sarah and Daniel in buying it.

Is this not the case then? One solicitor could do the whole deal?



The solicitor will have to decide if there is a conflict of interest. My view is that if the searches are clear, the transfer is for market value (ie. in respect the amount paid to your son's fiancee's brother) and there are no other issues to iron out then one could do it by acting only for your son/fiancee.

However, I would expect most firms would insist on two solicitors withint their own practice being instructed but you might be able to get them to do a deal on their fees for this.

PLease remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor