Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My Mother (in India) has just obtained a Visa Settlement -

My Mother (in India) has just obtained a Visa Settlement - Indefinite leave to enter the UK. The visa was issued 23/07/12 valid until 12/02/18.

She needs to pack up her home and move to live with me, does she need to travel asap or does she has between 3 - 6months. We are hoping travel in December is ok
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your question.

Yes, that will be fine. Applicants are generally expected to travel within about 3 months or so of receiving the visa, but it is not a requirement to the extent that if they did not travel within this time they would be refused entry.

If an application did not travel within 6 months of the date of the visa being granted then the most I would expect would be for them to face very gentle questioning upon entry, simply asking to explain about the small lapse in time and then to be let in.

I would expect that she would not even face questioning if it was only 5 months. Even if she did they would accept that due to her age the administration of the move is more difficult than for perhaps someone who is much younger. She would certainly be allowed to enter, no problem.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom