Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi My property has a strip of land at the side that allows

My property has a strip of land at the side that allows right of way to my neighbours to access their back gardens. I want to put a chicken coup at the bottom corner of this right of way which would not currently block any access. When I told my neighbour she said I could not do it and would put up a fence and gate which meant it did block her access. Where do I stand?

Would it actually prevent the right of way or not?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No not at all - I have attached a picture from google maps

The black car is mine and where I intend to put the chicken coup

The neighbours moved there fence back some years ago and turned it into a small car park and you can see where the fence boundary originally was.

The owner of the blue car said she would put her fence back and put the gate in the corner so it would obstruct her access though

Attachment: 2012-08-12_104521_doc3.docx

Thanks for your question.

Provided that the coop does not impede or obstruct materially their use of the right of way then there is nothing they can do to prevent you putting it there.

Your land is subject to the right of way but otherwise you may use it in any other way you see fit.

If it did obstruct their access then you would have to remove it but if it does not then they are frustrated from doing anything about it.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,