Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

If you are over 80 years of age can you purchase a property

If you are over 80 years of age can you purchase a property in your own name and let it out to your neice as a tenant?

Would you require a mortgage to do this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it would be cash

Thanks for your question.

Yes, absolutely you can do this. There is no age barrier in this regard. Of course, your conveyancing solicitor would have to be satisfied that you have the requisite mental capacity to understand the implications of the transaction (as they would of anyone at any age) and that you were not under any duress, but provided they are satisfied you will certainly be able to do this.

You should issue your niece with an assured shorthold tenancy agreement though, just to provide you with both with certainty and to ensure that she is not able to claim an interest in the property. There are lots of online providers for tenancy agreements which you can use, with instructions on how to complete them.

No problem at all.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,