Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Can i cancel a flight booked with Flybe within 24 hours of

Can i cancel a flight booked with Flybe within 24 hours of booking?

Ben Jones :

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with. Please let me know if you have looked at the terms and conditions to see what cancellation rights you have?

Customer:

These are their rules; 'Flight/route changes permitted at GBP 32.50 per passenger, per single flight sector plus any difference in fare'. But I wnat to know if like all online trading there is a cooling off period or like other airlines that agree to refund, do they also have to?

Customer:

In addition, from searching online I understand there is such a thing as 'Voluntary Airline Passenger Service Commitment' which BA is signed up to and agrees to refund. Do you have any advice about that?

Ben Jones :

The main law on online trading is the Distance Selling Regulations, which give consumers 7 days to cancel their purchase and get a refund. However, the Regulations do not apply to flights because there is a specific exclusion to that effect. SO unfortunately, under law you do not have the automatic right to cancel flights purchased online and there is no cooling off period allowed in law. You are essentially bound by the terms of the carrier and they may charge you to make a cancellation or amendment.

This may also be of interest:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-1617003/922-charges-to-change-holiday-booking.html

As to the Code of Conduct - this is a voluntary code anyway so has no legally binding effect

Customer:

Thats a shame, but thanks