How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69527
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Having been discharged dishonourably from the British army

Customer Question

Having been discharged dishonourably from the British army in 1998. I received my discharge book in 2010 after I requested it. I recently lost a job because of my discharge. After all this time it is still effecting my life. Would it be possible to have the British Army change my discharge papers as I still continue to suffer for something I did in 1996.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

Do you mean can you vary your CRB ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My CRB is clean. The problem I have is my discharge book issue to me from the British Army. It states that I was discharged dishonourably.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

But why is your employer checking that?

What type of work are you applying for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I work in the private security sector abroad protecting ships from somali pirates. The problem I have is that I have to prove my military service by way of my discharge book. Its just very unfair that something i did many years ago still effects my life today.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I see your problem.

I'm really sorry but you cannot get a discharge book amended. If you were dishonourably discharged then you were dishonourably discharged. The Army will not be persuaded to vary that and cannot do so.

Obviously this is an old incident and if its isolated there are points you can make about that in your favour.

Also, you could seek work that doesn't rely on your discharge book as this would not show on your CRB check as I presume it was not for a service offence of itself.

If you have to show your discharge book though then there is no way of obscuring the dishonourable nature of the discharge.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please remember to rate my answer and provide feedback and then I will give you related information for free. Your question will not close but I will thereafter give you follow up information at no extra cost.