Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law

Hello. I accepted a simple caution 9 months ago for possession

Hello. I accepted a simple caution 9 months ago for possession of class A drugs. It didn't belong to me but the group in the taxi and I were all taken to the station and arrested. My questions are on the severity of this and how it affects me. It was a mistake to be with the wrong group of people at the wrong time and I have never been in trouble before so this situation is constantly on my mind. However, I admit that it was idiotic and I have to pay for that. My questions are:
1) Is this is criminal conviction?
2) Do I have a criminal record and for how long?
3) Can I find work elsewhere - I have a good job (professional and I earn approx £70K per annum) but am I able to continue to meet further aspirations?
4) I own two properties and I want to stretch my portfolio - am I able to file for another mortgate?
5) Can I travel to other countries (inc. USA etc)?
Many thanks for your advice
Regards A
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with.

To answer your specific questions:

1. No, it is not a criminal conviction

2. No you do not, a caution becomes cleared immediately. However, if you are asked whether you have ever been cautioned you have to declare it. Also it would still show up on CRB checks but it should not be taken into account by employers.

3. yes certainly - there is no guarantee as each employer may have a different view on it but it is by no means an end to your career

4. Yes, they would not take a caution into consideration

5. Mostly yes, although you may have to declare it and get a visa in some cases

Customer:

Thank you for your quick reply. Just a quick follow up response if you don't mind:

Customer:

Sorry I hit enter and still writing - will be with you in a minute with a response.

Customer:

To point (2), would they ask me if I have a caution because they have seen something recorded somewhere to trigger that question? E.g. it is held on my PCN - is that right and if so can they see records of this? Many thanks

Customer:

For Ben Jones only - To point (2), would they ask me if I have a caution because they have seen something recorded somewhere to trigger that question? E.g. it is held on my PCN - is that right and if so can they see records of this? Many thanks

Ben Jones :

who are you referring to about in terms of seeing what is on the PNC?

Customer:

I guess employees? Do they see record regardless if it's a criminal record or not? E.g. driving points offences, being pulled over on the road checking your car etc? Feels like this record holds everything? A bit like a credit reference file and it doesn't get removed after a length of time? Thanks

Customer:

For Ben Jones only I guess employees? Do they see record regardless if it's a criminal record or not? E.g. driving points offences, being pulled over on the road checking your car etc? Feels like this record holds everything? A bit like a credit reference file and it doesn't get removed after a length of time? Thanks

Ben Jones :

only the police have access to the PNC, although information from it is used when you have a CRB check

Customer:

For Ben Jones only - ok - so I guess not all information is "pulled" into the CRB even though there a x3 different levels they can choose to review from? Does this also apply to what they can see on your passport too - or what do customs see when you go through?

Customer:

Ben Jones :

your criminal record does not appear at customs, they only have lists for wanted individuals, etc

Customer:

For Ben Jones only - Ok thank you for your time and replies. Have a pleasant afternoon. Regards.

Ben Jones :

My pleasure. Unless you need further help, I would be grateful if you could please press Accept before exiting. Many thanks and all the best.

Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience: Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law