Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My father is a British citizen and recently married a woman

My father is a British citizen and recently married a woman from Pakistan. He had never visited her in Pakistan but met her while she was visiting the UK. Less than a month after getting married, this woman pressurised my father into helping her apply for a spouses visa to remain in the UK; my father is a heart patient and is suffering from many health implications and he believed that his new wife was concerned for his health and wanted to stay with him to look after him but this is not the case as it has come to my fathers attention through people in Pakistan that this woman is a con artist and has told several people about her "trapping an old british man into marrying her".
My father is in utter shock and is distraught over the lies and deceiving nature of his wife but is confused about what he can do to cancel the application that he has already made for a spouses visa on her behalf. What can my father do in this circumstances? My family members are all worried for the health and safety of my father who is now in a very frail condition and we are concerned that it is too late to act for the application has already been made.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

He needs to call the UKBA in the first instance and tell them what has happened. They will require confirmation from him in writing that they marriage has irretrievably broken down due to the fact that he was or believes he was deceived.

They will reject the application and she will be unable to proceed with the spouse visa application. If she is in Pakistan this means she will not be granted entry to the UK. If she is in the UK then this means that her present visa will be curtailed and she will be deported if found.

If he has only been married to her for a short time then she will not be entitled to any of the assets he held before marriage, or to a right to come to the UK. Under UK law a couple need to be married for one year before they can divorce so he should wait until then before petitioning for divorce.

If she is in Pakistan then he will have to get his divorce solicitor to instruct a Pakistani Vakil (ie. lawyer) to serve the divorce petition on her.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up quesstions relating to this topic.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor