Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

How can I find out if someone is legally separated from their

How can I find out if someone is legally separated from their spouse? The person in question is claiming to be separated so his wife can claim all available benefits (i.e. low income, reduced council tax, etc). They have never been separated yet they live in a £400k house.

Thanks for your question.
There is no central registry of marriage separations pending actual divorce. Once a divorce is decreed then a public record is held but a separation is not registered in this way.
Couples can separate informally or by Separation Agreement. A separation agreement is where the separation is formally declared by deed but (usually before solicitors) the agreements are either kept by the parties or by their solicitors. They are not sent anywhere.
If you believe this is a case of benefit fraud then you should consider informing the benefits department of the local authority.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,