Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, I am interested in fresh vegetables and fruits business

Hi, I am interested in fresh vegetables and fruits business in England.

I want to import the fresh vegetables and fruits from India? what kind of permission or standards certification i should obtain to this business. please explain the procedure.

Thank you.

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi Reddy,
Thanks for your question.
If you wisht o import fresh fruit and vegatables in to the UK, or in to the European Economic Area then you they would have to meet the standards set across the EEA . If you wish to import in to the UK then you would have to obtain a Certificate of Conformity from Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).
I think the department that deals with this is the Horticultural Marketing department I would suggest that the best way forward would be to give them a telephone call and ask to be reffered to the relevant forms and literature for your purposes
It would also be sensible for you to familiarise yourself with HMRC’s starting guidance for people considering importing:-
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.
Kind regards,