How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in february 2010 i sold a 32 inch LCD TV and a double bed

This answer was rated:

in february 2010 i sold a 32 inch LCD TV and a double bed for £400 to this guy who was going out with a girl i was kinda friends with. he didnt have the money at the time so i agreed that he could take the things and pay me later via online banking. (i was going travelling so was getting rid of all my stuff and leaving the country in the march) i kept texting him about the money and he kept saying yeah yeah he would pay. ive been asking him on and off for the past 2 years and he just keeps giving me excuses. im back in the uk now and kept asking him via text again and he agreed to give me £50 a month. he only did this twice, so still owes me £300. he text last week saying he is not going to pay because he doesnt have to as hes given them to someone else and ill have to ask them for the money. I have copies of all the text messages we have sent each over the the two years as i backed them up to googlemail. is there anything i can do? he says there isnt.

Thanks for your question.

If you have proof in the form of text messages relating to the arrangement and the fact that he still owes you this money then you can sue him yourself. The fact that he no longer has the goods is irrelevant unless you agreed that he could assign the contractual responsibility to another person, which presumably you have not.

However, you should write a formal letter to him stating the details of the loan and that you require the money to be paid back within a reasonable time (eg 7-14 days) in lieu of the fact that the repayment plan has failed). State that you are prepared to issue a claim at Court for the outstanding monies if necessary.

If no response is received then you can issue a claim yourself through Her Majesty's Courts Service's online service . It's very straightforward to use and pretty cheap.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Excellent, but I believe he has moved house since this happened. So I only have his old address (which is his parents house). I dont know anyone else that knows him to find out his new address. I believe he lives in Suffolk somewhere.

Well, you'll need an address to send the letter and claim form to.

If you can't find him via informal efforts (a previous address is probably not sufficient) then you will have to employ a tracing agent. If you google tracing agents and your locality then a list will be provided.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor