UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I have ILE (Indefinite leave to Enter) Visa status of UK and

Customer Question

I have ILE (Indefinite leave to Enter) Visa status of UK and it's been nearly 5 years, could i know how long i need to stay in Uk to qualify or apply for British citizenship ?
Recently i have got three points in my Driving license and paid £60 pound fine for crossing red traffic light. Fixed penalty notice (Endorsable Offence) offence code 160. Do i need to mentioned those thing while applying citizenship. Does it affect while applying citizenship?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

There are seven requirements you need to meet before you apply:

- You must be aged 18 or over.
- You must be of sound mind.
- You must intend to continue living in the UK, or to continue in Crown service, the service of an international organisation of which the UK is a member, or the service of a company or association established in the UK.
- You must be able to communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree.
- You must have sufficient knowledge of life in the UK.
- You must be of good character.
- You must meet the residential requirements (see below).

Residential requirements
To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation, you must have:

- been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
- been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
- not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
- not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
- not been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.

The fact you have 3 points will not go against you. Fixed penalty is not a criminal offence.

Please remember to click accept so that I am credited for my time. Thank you.
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I fill all the section of the form and am confused in one section. I am confused in one of the section of the application form to apply for for naturalisation as a British citizen, do i need to fill this part or not (Section 3)?
I don't have any criminal conviction, only i have 3 points in my driving license, paid 60 pound recently because of Red light crossing.

below sentences are in the form;

Section 3: Good Character Requirement

Criminal Convictions: Civil Judgments
3.6 Do you have any criminal convictions in the UK or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil
judgements made against you? Yes or no

No - you do NOT have any criminal convictions.

Fixed penalty is not a conviction.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Regarding our previous email conversation, could i know do i need to submit my paper counterpart of my driving license ???

I am getting confused,below is the GUIDE OF AN. Please see it.

Guide AN
For Naturalisation and british citizen
The Guide for Applicant

3.6 You must give details of all civil judgments which have resulted in a court order being made against you.You must give details of all criminal convictions both within and outside the United Kingdom. These include road traffic offences. Fixed penalty notices will not normally
be taken in to account, unless you have had more than one fixed penalty notice in the last 12 months. In that case you may wish to wait to make your application until you have no more than one fixed penalty notice in the 12 month period before applying.Drink driving offences must be declared. If you have any endorsements on your driving licence you must provide the paper counterpart.
Please note that a driving conviction may not yet be spent despite any penalty points being removed from your driving licence.
Yes you should submit it to show endorsements.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have 3 points in my driving license, paid 60 pound recently because of Red light crossing.

I am confused in one of the section of the application form to apply for for naturalisation as a British citizen, do i need to fill this part or not (Section 3)?

Section 3: Good Character Requirement

Criminal Convictions: Civil Judgments

judgements made against you? Yes or no

If this is the ONLY fixed penalty you have - then tick NO.

Please remember to click accept or rate my answer so that I am credited for my time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for the information.

If i tick no then is it compulsory to send my paper counterpart of my driving license??
In that case - no.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Respected Sir/Madam,

Four months ago i have applied for citizenship. Last 40 days ago I have received the letter that British citizenship was successful however i have not receive citizenship invitation letter to book citizenship ceremony. I am still waiting for that.

Please let me know what shall i do in this situation ? As i heard from some of my friend if i don't book the oath ceremony with in 55 days after getting successful letter than i need to reapply again and will lose all my money. Could i know where i should call and sort out my queries ?

Early response for these matter will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Oman Gauchan

Optional Information:
Province/Country relating to question : United Kingdom

Expert:  UK-Justice replied 1 year ago.
I am happy it was successful. But you will need to post a new question for me in relation to this.

Thank you.