Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I lent a work colleague some money to help them move into a

I lent a work colleague some money to help them move into a flat, which I have a signed contract for and a witness.
The person concerned paid one months repayment but has now left work and the flat she moved into and I do not know where she is living.
Is there any way I can recover my money through the courts?

Thanks for your question.

Provided you have a written agreement stating that the transfer of monies were a loan and not a gift and a repayment schedule which they have reneged on then you will be able to sue the person

The difficulty is that you will have to have an address where you can write to them initially demanding compliance with the agreement or else you shall sue if you do not receive a reply within 7 days.

If you do not know where they work now, live now of know of anyone else who can locate them then you will have to employ a tracing agent to find the. If you google "tracing agent" together with your locallity a list of agents will be supplied.

Once you have an address for them you can send your letter and then serve the claim form as necessary to the court using their address.

You can issue a claim using It's very easy, cheap and straightforward to use.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,