Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I have had a letter form Debt Recovery Plus Ltd. I some time

I have had a letter form Debt Recovery Plus Ltd. I some time ago revived a parking ticket for parking in a loading are whilst doing a delivery, i provided copy invoices but my appeal was refused and they would not reply to any other corresponding documents i sent. I have not paid, do i need to worry?

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

Who issued the fine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ticket was issued by Premier Park Ltd. whom i issued invoices showing the two businesses that i had delivered to that day

Have you admitted being the driver yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No just provided copy invoices
Are they going to be able to identify who was driving from that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well no, they know who owns the vehicle, Vic Sawdye, but not who was driving.

Good. This is a private land fine. They are unenforceable. This is not a parking fine however it may look. These companies are private firms that have no more right to punish you for the manner of your parking than your neighbour does. Only the police or the local Council can do that. These are issued on the basis that you have accepted a contract by parking there and breached it by staying too long. To make that work they would have to hang signs over almost every bay and anyway, they still cannot show loss. The way to stop them dead is to write back refusing to give them the name of the driver.

Please note that DOES NOT mean you should lie. Some people don't seem to be able to see the difference between REFUSING the name of the driver and giving false information but there is a very substantial one. They have no power to force from you the name of the driver as they are not the police.

They only have a 'contact' with the driver and not the registered keeper. Please note that will not stop them writing to you. They will send lots of threatening letters. They will pass it on to debt collection and they may get a solicitor to write to you. Unless you actually get a court summons these communications are nothing to worry about. Refusing details of the driver puts an end to any real action being taken.

Hope this helps. Please press ACCEPT and then I will answer your follow up questions for free. Your question will not close but I will thereafter give you related information at no extra cost.