Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

UK Law Broken by Viewing Non Nude Teen Modelling Sites?

Customer Question

have i broken uk law by viewing non nude teen modelling sites, i viewed the sites but did not download any images. i viewed on my mobile phone will i be traced or prosecuted i am very worried.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Could you explain your situation a little more? For instance, were the images sexualised?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no they were not invovling sexualal things at all, some where in suggestive poses but they were all dressed there was no nudity but some in underwear.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

will i be traced for just viewing a website i didnt pay anthing or did not download any of the images

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

The reason you are not getting a response is that you keep posting when I have not responded which prevents my post from being uploaded. The images might offend. If they were suggestive poses of very young children then there may be offences in that regardless of whether they were actually nude or not. But if you didn't download the pictures and you literally only viewed the website and no more then that would not amount to possession. Also, they are not likely to conduct a search via IP addresses. Generally this type of crime is investigated by meanso of credit card details or allegations. Its quite time consuming to conduct an IP trace. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i viewed on my mobile will thta effect anything? So are you saying that as i did not download any images then i have nothing t worry about

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

It depends. Normally you cannot view without downloading??? Did you click on any images?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i clicked on a image by accident, but i dont have any images downloaded to my phone i have checked as i dont want any trouble i viewed on my mobile web i thought that they blocked illegal sites well i hope they do.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im not saying what i viewed was illegal i just want to know will i be in trouble for viewing a website as i have not downloaed any items to my mobile

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Sorry about the delay. I was travelling back from court.
Ok. There are different levels of possession of these images but put simply – just viewing online is not usually sufficient to prove 'possession'.
They must show some level of download. Thats easy enough to do when images have been saved really because they can never completely be deleted.
Also, mobile telephones do have the difficulty of not generally being in multiple use so its easy enough to prove who was responsible in a way that it is not with computers usually.
If all you did was click on one photograph though, its very unlikely an investigation would reveal that unless there was otherwise a reason to target you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so what youre saying is that i dont have anything to worry about as they will have no other reason to target me as i am not invovled as i have not given my card details etc and am not looking at it again.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Thats probably right.
Its always a gamble with criminal defence work but its very unlikely they will trace you by IP address alone and unless there are some other easy links you would probably hear no more about this even if the image does amount to possession.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what do you mean by easy links im sorry about the hassel but i just want to put my mind at rest i have nothing downloded to my phone so am i ok and i never suscribed to these sites

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Any other means of tracing you. Like credit card details or mobile numbers etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how would they get your mobile number? in your honest opinion have i anything to worry about as i am not in possesion of anything at all
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
They would only get that if you've provided any information to the site.
There is always a risk that this could be traced. It is not likely.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what would cause them to trace you

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

There could be a large number of things. A police operation in your area is one cause.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just to put my mind at rest do i have anything to worry about from what i have said
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

There is a risk. It is not likely.