Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

i signed a service contract with Peninsula business servic

Customer Question

i signed a service contract with Peninsula business services
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will gladly help with. Please let me know what is your actual query about this?

JACUSTOMER-kz7ljc27- :

how can i get out of contract i have rang them to try and cancel it

JACUSTOMER-kz7ljc27- :

sales rep told myself and other colleges that there is a six month get out clause in case i did not like policy

JACUSTOMER-kz7ljc27- :

hello?

Ben Jones :

yes still here, what was the contract for, where was it signed, are you a consumer or business?

JACUSTOMER-kz7ljc27- :

contract for commercial legal protection policy signed at my office, business

Ben Jones :

Does the contract have a specific cancellation clause?

JACUSTOMER-kz7ljc27- :

no it says with no provision for early termination which i was not made aware of as i was rushed

JACUSTOMER-kz7ljc27- :

what does that mean

JACUSTOMER-kz7ljc27- :

hello

Ben Jones :

So were you in any way misled about the contract and what you were signing up for?

JACUSTOMER-kz7ljc27- :

yes i was told i had a 6 month get out clause if i did not like the service

Ben Jones :

when did you sign it?

JACUSTOMER-kz7ljc27- :

last night 5pm

Ben Jones :

If you have entered into a contract for services as a business then you do not get an automatic cooling off period, such as one that consumers may get in the same circumstances. That is because when you act as a business you are treated as being on a level playing field with the other side and no special concessions apply. As such, cancelling the contract would depend entirely on its terms. You therefore need to look at the contract and what terms are in there in relation to cancellation. If you have a 6-month cancellation clause, the starting point is that it would be valid and enforceable and would need to be met to cancel the contract. However, you could argue that such a long notice period is unreasonable in the circumstances, especially as you cancelled so soon after entering into the contract. You could simply refuse to pay any of the fees and then it would be for them to take you to court to get these and they may not necessarily do that and even if they do, they may actually be successful.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this. If you do not, I would be grateful if you could please press Accept before exiting, many thanks.