Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

To help a friend out, I lent her £2,000 in December 2010 on

To help a friend out, I lent her £2,000 in December 2010 on her assurance that I would be repaid at the end of March 2011. That didn't happen. She runs a decorating/design business and says she will repay me when she gets paid. Stupidly I believed her and lent some more. I have a file full of emails from her promising repayment and when it doesn't happen there are all manner of excuses why she hasn't repaid me but of course, nothing materialises. The debt is now £6,500 and I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any advice would be most welcome.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

You should write a formal letter to her stating the details of the loan referring to her acknowledgment of the transfer as by way of loan (ie. the emails) and that you require the money to be paid back in accordance with your agreement (or a repayment plan suggested) within a reasonable time (eg 7-14 days). State that you are prepared to issue a claim at Court for the outstanding monies if necessary if no response or an unsatisfactory response is received within the time frame..

If this does not illicit a response you should ask a solicitor to draft a Letter Before Action to her. This will be cheap and may bring home your commitment to recovering the money. If you think that this will be of no use then you may skip to issuing proceedings.

If no response is received then you can issue a claim yourself through Her Majesty's Courts Service's online service . It's very straightforward to use and pretty cheap.

If she does nothing then your only option is to formalise the matter by issuing a claim.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I my be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,