How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7374
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a property letting agent takes over a management of a property

Resolved Question:

If a property letting agent takes over a management of a property with a tenant in, who does not want to sign another lease agreement because she is looking to move, does the deposit need to be protected?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I assume you refer to an assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. When was the tenancy agreement executed?
2. Who executed the agreement? Landlord? Previous Agent?
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. The last agreement was signed and started on 20th August 2008 for a year.

2. The previous Agent, the tenant did not want to sign another agreement commencing in August 2009, approx. at the same time the previous agent was closing his mydeposit scheme/membership, so the deposit amount of £400 was transferred to me, however we were both under the impression that it did not have to be protected, as there was no new agreement.

The tenant left in May 2010, without a forwarding address and the Landlords were dissatisfied with the state of the property and demanded the deposit went to them. They did sign a declaration from me to that effect. The tenants daughter has now come back demanding the £400.

I just need to know if I should have protected the deposit and should I have returned it to the Landlords and whose fight is it now the Landlord or me.

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

I'll be able to answer in half an hour or so, just on the move at the moment.

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

The tenant’s deposit should have been protected even if a new tenancy agreement had not been executed. Once the previous tenancy expire it automatically became a statutory periodic tenancy, which means that the tenancy continues on the same terms but from one month to the next.

This does not mean that the deposit should no longer be protected. If a deposit has never been protected then the tenant is entitled to the return of the deposit without deduction. Your situation is obviously a bit more complicated because it was originally protected.

In any event it is the tenant who is the only person who the deposit should be released to. It should not be released to the tenant’s daughter unless authorise to do so in person by the landlord and in this event I would certainly advise getting it in writing .

Providing the landlord was aware the deposit passed to you and he did not instruct you to put the deposit in another scheme and you did not advise the landlord that it was not necessary to replace the deposit in a scheme then the liability would remain that of the landlord. If however you have a full management agreement with the landlord then it would probably be your responsibility to lodge the deposit.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7374
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor