Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi there, I moved to London a few years ago. Hi, I like

Hi there,
I moved to London a few years ago.
I like in Uk and I am on work permit ( a banker).
I moved to a new house 3 years ago and I forgot to register with the police (I should have done it within 7 days).
Now I need to apply for the indefinite leave to remain and I need to update my address.
What are the consequences of my mistake. I haven't been Subject to any legal problems since I moved here. I just totally forgot to register when I moved home. I googled the matter and the police mention a fine of 5000 pounds or 6 months.
Thank you
Regards
Mo
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Are you saying that you have never registered with the police OR that you did register originally, then moved and forgot to update the address details?

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I registered originally but forgot to update the address details when I moved homes.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mo,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you have committed an offence. It is also a breach of your visa. They have to criminalise this form of breach otherwise they would lose a massive degree of control.

As a breach of the conditions of your visa the UKBA could technically reject any application you made for ILR or for FLR. However, in cases where you have previously registered but have simply forgotten they are unlikely to take enforcement action against you and charge you.

If your application is well prepared, you meet the eligibility criteria, you register with the police now and there are no other defects with your application or other aggravating factors then I would cautiously expect the UKBA to overlook this.

You should disclose and mitigate when you come to make your application. State when you realised that you should have registered and demonstrate that you registered as soon as possible after realising your mistake. If there were mitigating factors at the time you forgot (eg. illness, distressing personal circumstances) then you should cite these as mitigating factors in your statement which should accompany your ILR application.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi one follow up question please.
Is it better to just register my new address as if I just moved?
Regards
Mo