Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Can you please advise on Loss of earnings. I have recently

Can you please advise on Loss of earnings. I have recently spilt up with my partner, and she has sent me a bill for money that she has allegedly spent on me, including what she has titled as "loss of earnings" related to the period of time we spent on holiday together. If she agreed to go on the holiday, I am not sure how she can claim loss of earnings against me. I am not her employer or work for her or with her?

On the letter whereby she has detailed the expenditure of items she allegedly spent on me, she has also detailed presents that she bought me. If she bought them of her own free will, and has the capacity to make that decision, how can she claim against me for presents purchased for my birthday?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks for your question.

Unless there was an agreement between you that the money she spent on you would be repayable then she would not be able to claim these monies from you or have any appreciable prospect of success in issuing a claim against you. IN the absence of agreement all such presents are simply gifts, not loans with expectation of being repaid.

If she gave you things but made those gifts contingent on you staying together then she would be able to claim them if you have now broken up but I assume this is not the case.

The "loss of earnings" she is attempting to claim is nonsense, plain and simply. It was her decision to go on holiday with and she must therefore be responsible for the financial impact of the decision.

I would venture to suggest that this spurious claim comes as a result of your break up and not on any legal advice she has received because she would not be advised to do what she is doing.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom