How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has visited me on a family visit visa, I would like

Resolved Question:

My wife has visited me on a family visit visa, I would like her to stay in the UK as we have two children that hold british passports. Is it posible to change her visa whithout her leaving the country?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


I'm afraid not, no. All visitor's visas are granted on the condition that the application shall return to their home country before the expiry of the visa. This is taken to mean that they shall not apply to switch in to another visa category.

Any attempt to do so could potentially cause problems for further visa applications because it is conceivable that the UKBA may view the original visitor's visa application as a deception in view of the attempted switch.

It is enforced very strictly I'm afraid. She will have to return home to submit her application but there is nothing preventing her from seeing a solicitor whilst she is here to prepare her out of country application



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions