Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My wife has visited me on a family visit visa, I would like

My wife has visited me on a family visit visa, I would like her to stay in the UK as we have two children that hold british passports. Is it posible to change her visa whithout her leaving the country?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid not, no. All visitor's visas are granted on the condition that the application shall return to their home country before the expiry of the visa. This is taken to mean that they shall not apply to switch in to another visa category.

Any attempt to do so could potentially cause problems for further visa applications because it is conceivable that the UKBA may view the original visitor's visa application as a deception in view of the attempted switch.

It is enforced very strictly I'm afraid. She will have to return home to submit her application but there is nothing preventing her from seeing a solicitor whilst she is here to prepare her out of country application

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom