Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

What does this mean in lay terms?: "Leave to file and serve

What does this mean in lay terms?:
"Leave to file and serve witness statement of XXXXX XXXXX by..."
Ahead of a court hearing where I am claiming repayment from a builder, I have received a court order with this text and am unsure the meaning of it. XXXXX XXXXX is someone from whom I want to call for evidence. He previously made a statement in a letter, but the judge said that she would want to hear from John.
Hello and thank you for your question, which I will gladly help with. Please let me know if that person is happy to appear as a witness?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've not spoken to him yet. He was happy to previously make a written statement.
This basically means that the court has granted a request to have this person as a witness and for him to prepare a witness statement and submit it by the specified date.

Please press Accept for the advice given so far. I can then provide more detailed advice and guidance as required. I will also answer any specific questions you may have. Thank you